Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Administrative Professionals Day 2010: Tales from a Former Secretary

I just realized Administrative Professionals Day 2010 is today, April 21. Back in the old days, it was called Secretary's Day (eek!). As a former secretary, I have hilarious memories. I'm glad to see the holiday renamed to Administrative Professionals Day since most secretaries are smarter than the boss!

Being an administrative professional is no easy task. You are responsible for the biggest details yet get the smaller paycheck. Anything anyone does wrong is typically considered your fault. Even strangers blame the secretary...or to be politically correct, administrative professional.

In my former secretarial career I was hit on, subpoenaed, unpaid, emptied the garbage, expected to lie, worked unpaid overtime and left by bosses who literally fled in the night. (I worked for major banks, corporations and municipal attorneys...I can't imagine what it must be like in the “real” world.)

When I became the boss, I quickly learned not all secretaries were as hard-working as I was. I discovered hiring was a more painstaking process than I thought but worth every minute. Who wants to watch employees talk on the phone, do their nails, eat, hide in the bathroom and cry?  (That goes for bosses, too...either way, it's time for someone to move on.)

My last three secretaries were gold and I showed them. Flowers, bonuses, lavish luncheons, spa treatments, kudos...they deserved even more than I gave.

Each one told me I was the best boss ever. It's no wonder because I knew where they were coming from! I recommended all of them for better positions and wished them well as they moved forward. Don't you wish all bosses did that instead of keeping you cornered in a dead end job?

Now I wear all hats for my business. Should I treat myself to goodies for Administrative Professionals Day? After all, I act as my own administrative professional. (NO, that was NOT me disguising my voice saying I wasn't in right now!)

I think I deserve a manicure...and a pedicure for Admin Day. Hmm...followed by a languid bath with freshly scented candles, chocolates and wine...but back to Administrative Professionals Day for everyone else...

Show the Administrative Professionals you work with (as a boss or client) the appreciation they deserve today. When I was a secretary, thoughtful clients gave me beautiful gifts. It made me feel acknowledged and appreciated. You don't know how far that box of candy or flowers might go...especially if the boss is a closet clod.

If you are the boss, MONEY TALKS! Yes, that's what shows your appreciation for the dedication your administrative professional shows everyday.

Yup, they DO want more than a “Happy Administrative Professionals Day, I'll get my own joe today.” Hard, cold cash talks...and BS walks!

Happy Administrative Professionals Day 2010 ...without you, businesses would stop dead in their tracks!

Here is an amusing YouTube video about the modern administrative assistant:
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment