Saturday, March 5, 2011

Saturday Girl Talk: OPI Gel Nails, Victoria's Secret and Mom Power

Weekends were made for kickin' back and chillin' out. For many of us mommy bloggers, writing is what relaxes us the most. During the week, I strive to deliver news, info and product updates with Venusity. Instead of cutting out on the weekends, I've decided to engage in a little girl talk on Saturdays. Every Sunday, we'll spotlight a famous mom with Venusity (check the top of the blog for the definition).

Earlier this week, I mentioned my new Victoria's Secret swimsuit sitting around to inspire me to lose weight. I also talked about how awesome OPI gel nails are and promised to explain why. Finally, I was going to pick up a Tony Little Gazelle to boost my fitness efforts but that went belly-up. Yes, I'll tell you more!

First of all, the Victoria's Secret swimsuit was a STEAL. I bought it during the semi-annual sale, a clearance you really should not miss. I prefer their cotton underwear to any other brand because they are thin so you don't see them through jeans (even if you choose the mommy brief style). Also, they breathe so you don't develop those nasty infections (we've all been there and don't want to go back.)

But I digress. Let's talk about the swimsuit. It's a bikini with a skirt. Most of my mom friends say bikinis are not for mothers over 40. I disagree. If you work hard to stay in shape, a bikini is for ANY age.

Of course the days of wearing a thong with a triangular top are over. Like anything else, you need to use a bit of decorum as you get older and have kids. The bikini top is a Miracle Bra so it offers ample coverage and support. Since I wear a D-cup, this is essential or everything is hanging out all over (not what you want happening when you take a tribe of children to the beach).

The bottom is skirted and comes to the area right at the belly button. It is a flattering cut because your whole tummy isnt' hanging out and the skirt hides those thigh imperfections that are SOOO hard to get rid of.
When I drop 10 pounds, I can't wait to try it on again. If I lose 20, it will really be striking. I chose a fuschsia color so it's very girly and attention-grabbing.

Now let's talk gel nails. Created by OPI (I just LOVE their product), it is a gel layer applied over your natural nails. They are not like acrylic nails and no tips or glue are applied. A special heating machine is used to seal and dry each coat of gel. The gel comes in various colors and also doubles as the nail polish. With gel nails, you do not choose a polish. Rather, you select from a wheel of colors.

It takes about an hour to do them and a half hour to remove the old set. Your fingertips are wrapped in cotton soaked with acetone and foil. In a few minutes, the gel is wiped away then the gel nail process begins. The gel is brushed on in several layers including primer, color and top coat. In between coats, your hand is put in a special OPI gel nail drier.

When your nails are done, they are completely dry with no additional dry time required. It is amazing! No more squished nails and they shine far more than regular manicures. The gel nails last for three weeks for me so it saves a lot of time.

As a busy mom with Venusity, I want nice nails but don't want to spend an hour every week to get them. Now it just takes an hour and a half every three weeks and my nails are always fabulous. This stuff never chips! You will see the growth coming in at the bottom, which is why you need a new manicure. When your half moons are showing, it's time to schedule a spa appointment!

Finally, let's talk about Tony. I found a Gazelle for a great price at Craig's List and was ready to pick it up today. I really want it because I had to leave one behind years ago when we moved into this house. The truck was full and it would not fit in my little sports car.

I find myself facing the same quandary today. My husband's truck muffer was replaced last week and now it's spitting gas?! The mechanic won't be in until Monday so I had to email the lady I could not make it today. I swear, I'm buying a truck the next time I get a new vehicle! Once again, my little sports car isn't up to transporting it.

However, I will not let it discourage my fitness efforts. I will take a walk later with the kids. I also found a sweet pair of weights at Marshall's on the clearance shelf for under 5 bucks. My old lead weights (yes, from the 80's, I hate to admit it) were making my hands black and smelly. Now I use these to stretch after writing for awhile and hope to get rid of those unwanted "wings" by summertime.

If the lady is nice, she'll let us pick up the Gazelle next week. I refuse to lose hope!  By the way, I missed out on registering for the local Zumba dance class this month but got into another one - Irish step dancing!  How perfect with St. Patrick's Day around the corner.  Next week, I'll tell you how my first Irish step dancing class went.

How is your weekend going? Are you strugging to keep your Venusity, too? Let's talk!

1 comment:

  1. It's too cold where I'm at to even think about swim suits. But I do love Victoria Secret's collection. Unfortunately, they are too big for my little Asian size. But I love their bras :-)

    -DP
    Hip Chick's Guide to PMS, Pregnancy, and Babies

    ReplyDelete